Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Comedy of errors



I am in secondary mode. DO NOT DISTURB. Just kidding. Sort of (I may or may not bite your head off if you interrupt my stream of consciousness).

Anyways, here's a story I remembered when asked about my most memorable travel experience (surprisingly, this is in more than secondary. I am not sure what this question helps the Adcoms gauge aside from how rich we are?). My story is not so much about the travel as much as it's about the aftermath. And note, this isn't a story unique to B-sians. Anyone can relate to the awkwardness of starting anew in an unfamiliar environment.


I still remember when I was in the sixth grade, and relatively new to the customs of the United States. My teacher offered to drop me off after music rehearsal, and as we approached her car, I instinctively sat in the back seat. It was a sign of respect. I was not her equal in age or experience. My teacher, amused by my gesture, asked teasingly, “Who do you think I am, your driver?” I was taken aback, but quickly hurried into the front seat, too embarrassed to explain my egregious error.

And when they asked me about creative endeavors, here's what I was tempted to put down:

“Being B-sian.” The title of my blog is a play on the stereotype that pervades our society regarding Asians. It’s not earth-shatteringly thought provoking (points for honesty), but the reason I blog is to chronicle my journey as a pre-medical and non-traditional student so others after me are not as confused by this process. My pearls of wisdom are what I learned from my mistakes (of which there are innumerable), and I hope those that read it (the few, the proud) learn to question the mold of a cookie-cutter pre-med.

So why didn't I? I am going to be honest. I don't want to stand out for the wrong reasons. Who knows what they'll take away from this? Maybe they'll think I am whiny. Or a wannabe rebel. But the passage does carry a grain of truth. Always be you. And you, sir, are no cookie.

No comments:

Post a Comment